Furnishing of all labor, materials, services and equipment
necessary for the supply and installation of crystalline waterproofing additive to
concrete structures as indicated on the drawings and as specified herein. The
crystalline waterproofing material shall be added to concrete during the mixing
cycle, and shall be used in above or below-grade walls and slabs, including liquid
retaining structures where enhanced chemical resistance is required.
- Section Includes:
- Section 03100 - Concrete Work
- Section 03200 - Concrete Reinforcement
- Section 07900 - Joint Sealers
- Applicable Standards: The following standards are referenced herein.
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- Army Corps of Engineers (CRD)
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- NSF International (NSF)
1.03 SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
- Crystalline Waterproofing Additive: Concrete waterproofing system shall be of the
crystalline type that chemically controls and permanently fixes a non-soluble
crystalline structure throughout the capillary voids of the concrete. The system
shall cause the concrete to become sealed against the penetration of liquids from
any direction, and shall protect the concrete from deterioration due to harsh
1.04 SYSTEM PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Testing Requirements: Crystalline waterproofing system shall be tested in accordance
with the following standards and conditions, and the testing results shall meet or
exceed the performance requirements as specified herein.
- Independent Laboratory: Testing shall be performed by an independent laboratory
meeting the requirements of ASTM E 329-90 and certified by the United States
Bureau of Standards. Testing laboratory shall obtain all concrete samples and
waterproofing product samples.
- Crystalline Formation: Crystallizing capability of waterproofing system shall be
evidenced by independent SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) photographs
showing crystalline formations within the concrete matrix.
- Permeability: Independent testing shall be performed according to U.S. Army Corps
of Engineers CRD-C48-73 "Permeability of Concrete". Treated concrete samples
shall be pressure tested to 150 psi (350 foot head of water) or 1.05 MPa (106 m
head of water). The treated samples shall exhibit no measurable leakage.
- Chemical Resistance: Independent testing shall be performed to determine "Sulfuric
Acid Resistance of Concrete Specimens". Treated concrete samples (dosage rates of
3%, 5% and 7%) shall be tested against untreated control samples. All samples shall
be immersed in sulfuric acid and weighed daily until a control sample reaches a
weight loss of 50% or over. On final weighing the percentage weight loss of the
treated samples shall test significantly lower than the control samples.
- Compressive Strength: Independent testing shall be performed according to
ASTM C39 "Compressive Strength of Cylindrical Concrete Specimens". Concrete
samples containing the crystalline waterproofing additive shall be tested against
untreated control sample. At 28 days, the treated samples shall exhibit a minimum
of 10% increase in compressive strength over the control sample.
- Potable Water Approval: Independent testing shall be performed according to NSF
Standard 61, and approval for use of waterproofing material on structures holding
potable water shall be evidenced by NSF certification.
- General: Submit listed submittals in accordance with conditions of the Contract
and with Division 1 Submittal Procedures Section.
- Product Data: Submit product data, including manufacturer's specifications,
installation instructions, and general recommendations for waterproofing
applications. Also include manufacturer's certification or other data substantiating
that products comply with requirements of Contract Documents.
- Test Reports: Submit, for acceptance, complete test reports from approved independent
testing laboratories certifying that waterproofing system conforms to performance
characteristics and testing requirements specified herein.
- Manufacturer's Certification: Provide certificate signed by manufacturer or
manufacturer's representative certifying that the materials to be installed comply in
all respects with the requirements of this specification.
1.06 QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Manufacturer Qualifications: Manufacturer to be ISO 9001 registered, and to have no
less than 10 years experience in manufacturing the crystalline waterproofing additive
for the required work. Manufacturer must be capable of providing field service
representation during construction phase. Manufacturers that cannot provide the
performance test data specified herein will not be considered for the project.
- Applicator: Installer of crystalline waterproofing additive shall be approved by the
manufacturer or manufacturer's representative in writing.
- Pre-Installation Conference: Prior to installation of waterproofing, conduct meeting
with Architect/Engineer, owner's representative, applicator (concrete supplier),
concrete placer and waterproofing manufacturer's representative to verify and review
- Project requirements for waterproofing as set out in Contract Document.
- Manufacturer's product data including application instructions.
- Technical Consultation: The waterproofing manufacturer's representative shall provide
technical consultation on waterproofing application.
1.07 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
- Ordering: Comply with manufacturer's ordering instructions and lead time requirements
to avoid construction delays.
- Delivery: Deliver packaged waterproofing materials to project site in original
undamaged containers, with manufacturer's labels and seals intact.
- Storage: Store waterproofing materials in dry, enclosed location, at temperature and
humidity conditions recommended by manufacturer.
- Project Warranty: Refer to conditions of the Contract for project warranty
- Manufacturer's Warranty: Manufacturer shall provide standard product warranty
executed by authorized company official. Term of warranty shall be [specify term]
years from Date of Substantial Completion.
- Acceptable Manufacturer:
Xypex Chemical Corporation
13731 Mayfield Place, Richmond, B.C., Canada V6V 2G9
Tel: 800 961. 4477 or 604 273. 5265 Fax: 604 270.0451
E-mail: email@example.com Website: www.xypex.com
- Proprietary Products: Xypex crystalline waterproofing materials as follows:
- Xypex Admix C-1000
- Xypex Admix C-2000
Note: Supplemental specifications are available for Xypex Admix C-1000 NF
(no fines grade) and Xypex Admix C-2000 NF (no fines grade).
- Substitutions: No substitutions permitted.
- Source Quality: Obtain proprietary crystalline waterproofing products from a
- General: Xypex Admix must be added to concrete mix at time of batching.
- Dosage Rate: Under normal conditions, the crystalline waterproofing powder shall
be added to the concrete mix at a rate of 2% - 3% by weight of portland cement
content. For enhanced chemical protection or meeting specific project requirements,
consult with manufacturer or its authorized representative to determine appropriate
3.01 MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS
- Compliance: Comply with manufacturer's product data regarding installation,
including technical bulletins, product catalogue, installation instructions and
product packaging labels.
3.02 PROJECT CONDITIONS
- Reinforcement: All reinforcement shall be rib deformed bar in accordance with
applicable standards. Exposed concrete decks (joint free) shall contain sufficient
reinforcement to minimize thermal movement and control cracking.
- Setting Time and Strength: Some retardation of set may occur when using Xypex Admix.
The amount of retardation will depend upon the concrete mix design, the dosage rate
of the Admix, temperature of concrete and climatic conditions. Concrete containing
Xypex Admix may develop higher ultimate strengths than plain concrete. Conduct trial
mixes under project conditions to determine setting time and strength of the concrete.
Consult with manufacturer or manufacturer's representative regarding concrete mix
design, project conditions and proper dosage rate.
- Weather Conditions: For mixing, transporting and placing concrete under
conditions of high temperature or low temperature, follow concrete practices as
referred to in ACI 305R-77 (Hot Weather Concreting) and ACI 306R-78 (Cold
Weather Concreting). For flatwork being placed in either hot, dry or windy
conditions use of monomolecular film (evaporation retardant) is recommended to
control loss of bleed water.
- General: Xypex Admix shall be added to the concrete mix at time of batching.
Thorough blending of the Xypex Admix throughout the concrete mix is essential
for correct performance of the product and, therefore, care should be taken to
ensure that a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Concrete Batching & Mixing: Procedures for mixing will vary according to type of batch
plant operation and equipment.
- Ready Mix Plant - Dry Batching Operation: Add Xypex Admix powder to drum
of ready-mix truck, then add 60% - 70% of required water along with 300 -
500 lb. (136 - 227 kg) of aggregate. Mix the materials for 2 - 3 minutes to ensure
that the Admix is distributed evenly throughout the mix water. Add balance of
materials to the ready-mix truck and mix in accordance with standard batch
- Ready Mix Plant - Central Mix Operation: Mix Xypex Admix with water to form a
very thin slurry (e.g. 15 - 20 lb. or 6.75 - 9 kg of powder mixed with 3 gal. or
13.6 l of water). Pour the required amount of material in drum of ready-mix
truck. The aggregate, cement and water should be batched and mixed in the
plant in accordance with standard practices (taking into account the quantity of
water that has already been placed in the ready-mix truck). Pour the concrete
into the truck and mix for at least 5 minutes to ensure even distribution of the
Xypex Admix throughout the concrete.
- Precast Batch Plant - Pan Type Mixer: Add Xypex Admix to the rock and sand, then
mix thoroughly for 2 - 3 minutes before adding the cement and water. The total
concrete mass should be blended using standard practices.
- General: Concrete containing Xypex Admix shall be moist cured in accordance with
ACI Reference 308, "Standard Practice for Curing Concrete".
- Curing Compounds: Curing compounds may be used in the event that project
requirements or conditions prevent moist curing. Curing compounds shall comply
with ASTM C-309.
- Protection: Protect installed product and finished surfaces from damage during
3.06 FIELD QUALITY CONTROL
- Examination for Defects: Do not conceal Xypex treated concrete before it has been
observed by Architect / Engineer, waterproofing manufacturer's representative and
other designated entities. Concrete shall be examined for structural defects such as
faulty construction joints, cold joints and cracks. Such defects to be repaired in
accordance with manufacturer's repair procedures.
- Flood Testing for Suspended Slabs:
- Perform flood test on completed waterproofing installation before placement of
- Plug or dam drains and fill area with water to a depth of two inches (50 mm) or
to within 0.5 inch (12.5 mm) of top of waterproofing treatment.
- Let water stand for 24 hours.
- If leaks are discovered, make repairs and repeat test until no leaks are observed.
3.07 INTERACTION WITH OTHER MATERIALS
END OF SECTION 03050
- Backfilling: Normal backfilling procedures may be used after concrete has been
cured for at least seven days. If backfill takes place within seven days after concrete
placement, then backfill material shall be moist so as not to draw moisture from the
concrete. In no event shall backfilling take place before concrete has gained
sufficient strength to withstand the applied load.
- Grout, Cement Parge Coat, Plaster or Stucco: Because concrete containing Xypex Admix
forms a relatively smooth surface and the resulting crystalline formation fills the
concrete pores thereby reducing suction characteristics of the concrete, it may
be necessary to use a suitable bonding agent for proper bonding of cementitious systems.
- Responsibility to Ensure Compatibility: Xypex Chemical Corporation makes no
representations or warranties regarding compatibility of Xypex treated concrete
with coatings, plasters, stuccos, tiles or other surface-applied materials. It shall be
the responsibility of the installer of the surface-applied material that is to be applied
over the Xypex treated concrete, to take whatever measures are necessary, including
testing, to ensure acceptance by or adhesion to the waterproofing treatment.
About Xypex |
Xypex Products |
Search Engine |
Site Map |
© 1999, Xypex Chemical Corporation. All rights reserved.